Summer is here, which means plenty of time spent soaking up the sun and cooling off in the pool. You’re excited to look your best while enjoying your favorite activities during the warm weather ahead. However, you probably didn’t expect to experience female hair loss in summer. Believe it or not, the sun’s damaging rays can do a number on your hair. Don’t worry, here’s how you can prevent hair loss and restore your luscious locks.
Hair Loss Linked to Summer
Summer hair loss is quite common, which is a gradual process. Studies show the resting (telogen) hairs increase during the warmer months, so you might lose more strands than usual. While more conclusive evidence is necessary to find the direct connection, one study suspects UV light may be the contributor. Not to mention, it appears certain hair types are more prone to the issue than others, like people who have fine or delicate hair.
Preventing Summer Hair Loss
Although you can’t control the heat or power of the sun’s rays, you can take several steps to prevent hair loss during the upcoming months, such as:
- Eat More Protein: Protein is crucial for hair growth because the follicles are mostly made of it. Lack of protein has been shown to promote hair loss. You can ensure your follicles are healthy by increasing your protein intake or taking a nutritional supplement.
- Keep Your Hair Moisturized: The heat of summer can dehydrate your hair, making it more likely to break. You can protect it from the sun by wearing a hat and keeping your strands well-moisturized. It’s also best to use sulfate-free shampoo because it won’t strip the moisture from your hair. Don’t forget to use a conditioner to reduce breakage.
- Limit Styling Tools: You’ll want to minimize your hair’s exposure to heat, which might mean skipping your favorite styling tools for a while. If you can’t resist your curling iron or flat iron, use the tool on a lower heat setting.
- Avoid Over Processing: Although you want to look great for summer, don’t color or bleach your hair too often. Chemical treatments can leave your hair more susceptible to damage.
- Get Professional Help: If you’ve experienced significant hair loss that extends beyond summer, it’s time to see a professional. Your hair specialist can restore thick, beautiful hair with NeoGraft.
Don’t Let Hair Loss Ruin Your Summer
Don’t wait until hair loss becomes a problem. As soon as the temperatures outside begin to rise, take the necessary precautions to protect your hair. Whether sitting by the pool or attending a barbeque, you can feel confident about your appearance.
About Dr. Irvin Wiesman
Dr. Wiesman is a board-certified plastic surgeon who also specializes in hair restoration. He is well-known among his peers for various published papers and peer-reviewed journals. If you’re ready to turn back the clock and treat your hair loss, contact our office today to see if NeoGraft is right for you.